First, off two days into 2011, Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great time however they celebrated bringing in the new year. I wanted to do something low key this year and spent part of NYE at a small dinner with my roommates and some friends, and then went out dancing with a few other friends to end the night. While we were dancing, a friend of noticed that I was “phasing out” and she mentioned it to me. You know, the look where you’re physically in the present, but your mind is in 10 other places? Yep, there I was–she was right. It’s so easy to daze off and think about things other than what’s happening exactly where you are.So here are a few tips to help stay in the present:
- Notice everything around you – try to absorb all the sights, sounds, smells right where you are and in surrounding areas.
- Acceptance – accept the things that are running through your mind, and put them to rest. You need to enjoy the moment you are in
- Focus on your breathing – We may not notice it, but we are prone to breathe shallow breaths of air most of the time. Take full deep breaths to positively affect every part of your being.
- Surround yourself with positivity and people who are with you – immerse yourself in that situation.
- Positive affirmations – talk yourself back into the present.
What are some of the steps you take to stay present?